Originally the meetings of Kinson Lodge were held at the Oddfellows Hall, Kinson but this venue was not really satisfactory. In 1932 the Lodge purchased a plot of land in Ferncroft Road for £102.10s and on 28th June 1934 the Foundation Stone for the building was laid by the late Earl of Shaftesbury, the then Provincial Grand Master. Less than five months later on 8th November 1934 the building was consecrated by him.
In August 1997 a limited company was formed, Kinson Masonic Hall Company Limited, to which was assigned the freehold of the building from Kinson Lodge. There are ten Shareholders who act as Trustees and twelve Directors who are responsible for running the company. The dining room, catering, bar, bookings and cleaning are delegated to a committee which runs the very successful Ferncroft Club which means the building is also used for numerous private functions for receptions, birthday parties, anniversaries etc.
Many improvements have taken place over the years; the installation of the organ, an extension for a lounge and a bar, better kitchen equipment, dining tables and chairs, air conditioning, surfacing the car park, security equipment and decoration.
In April 2004 there was a fire, which fortunately did not spread throughout the building but none the less did over £35000 worth of damage. The opportunity was taken to significantly improve the Temple, its seating and generally upgrade all the facilities.
This is a brief history of the five Craft Lodges that meet at the Kinson Building.
Kinson Lodge No. 5331
Kinson is the oldest of the Lodges and was consecrated in the Amity Lodge, No. 137, building at Market Place Poole before 122 members of whom 10 were Founders on 12th April 1932.
Northbourne Lodge No. 6827
The Lodge was consecrated on 2nd June 1949 by Earl of Shaftesbury at the Town Hall, Bournemouth at which there were 450 Brethren present.
London Haven Lodge No. 7300
This Lodge resulted from a number of Masons who were now resident in the area getting together. It was consecrated on 30th March 1954 by the Deputy Provincial Grand Master, W. Bro. Kenneth B. Clarke. The membership qualification was for Brethren who were London Masons or born in the London Grand Rank area, whilst new members should have a London connection.
The Lodge of St. Mark No 8479
In 1971 London and Surrey masons living in the Ferndown area decided to form a new Lodge. The result was that on 24th February 1973 The Lodge of St. Mark was consecrated by the Provincial Grand Master, R. W. Bro. Montague Scott Williams.
Canford Lodge No. 9727
This is the most recently formed Lodge that meets at Kinson. It was consecrated on 22nd February 2001 at Canford School before 194 brethren by the Provincial Grand Master, R. W. Bro. Kenneth Henry Barnes.
In addition to the five Craft Lodges, there are a further seven Masonic Degrees which meet there, namely Kinson Royal Arch Chapter No. 5331, Kinson Mark Masons No.116, Branksome Royal Arch Mariners No. 1477, Kinson Chapter Rose Croix No. 1019, Heraclius Conclave No. 404, The Revelation Tabernacle No. 193 and The Royal Order of Scotland.